Jim Dale Cox
November 24, 1931 – October 20, 2017
Jim Dale Cox, a prominent member of the Colorado Springs Community for over 60 years, passed away on October 20, 2017, at Pikes Peak Hospice.
Jim was born on November 24, 1931 in Sullivan County, Missouri to John C. and Helen H. Cox. He and his family lived in Independence, Kansas, where he grew up with his parents and brother, Clarence. He worked from an early age at the Cox Mill, and he graduated from Independence High School.
He received his Associate of Arts in Industrial Management Degree from Independence Junior College, Kansas. From 1951-1953, Jim was the General Manager for Hopkins Manufacturing Company. He then moved to Denver to attend the Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver where he earned two degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Real Estate and Construction Management in 1956 and a Master of Business Administration in Finance in 1970.
As Jim was building his successful career, he had the foresight to set up an endowed fund for the University of Denver, which initially supported periodicals for the students. As times changed and the internet replaced the need for a periodical collection, Jim allowed his fund to support recognition of the Burns Honors students via an Honors Luncheon. He was a frequent speaker at these luncheons and talked about how he came to DU and his intelligence was immediately recognized. But because he struggled with a stutter, his high school did not think he should go to college. DU put him in a speech program and as his confidence with speaking grew, there was no holding him back! Jim was very successful in college and said he was so thankful that he chose DU and the School of Real Estate and Construction Management – that the faculty pushed him and he delivered. Students were always attentive when he told his story and you could tell that several could relate to it. He helped many, many students with his endowment by encouraging them to never let any personal problem or issue stop them – and not to listen to others who may doubt their abilities. If they think they can do it – they can. He was a great example for them.
At the University Jim met and married Claudia Joan Cooper in 1957, and they settled in Colorado Springs. From 1957-1960, Jim worked for and became Vice-President of Shepard Construction Company, where he developed a lifelong friendship with Bruce Shepard. In 1960, he founded and became President of Cox Construction Company, building over 250 custom homes, and commercial and apartment complexes. Jim and Claudia worked together for the company and started their family of daughter, Susan, and son, John. Claudia passed away in 1977. Jim continued his career in the Springs and, from 1972, also worked as a Partner in SCS Company, construction management, as well as Village 7 Companies constructing office, apartment and condominium complexes, shopping centers, nursing homes, and commercial projects, as well as receivership and property management. In 1980, Jim married again to Joan Gregerson Green.
Jim became known for his outstanding designs and sound construction as well as for his creation of several developments, including a branch office of American Federal Savings and the Cox Office building. Jim always was considered a skilled and innovative builder, a savvy businessman, and a strong contributor to the Springs community.
Being a very community-minded person, Jim served on many committees and boards benefitting the Springs. He served as member of the El Paso County Courthouse Committee, as member of the Colorado Small Business Council, Chair of the Colorado Springs Fire Board, as Vice Chair and then Chair of the Regional Building Department Board of Review, Co-Chairman of the City of Colorado Springs Contractors’ Licensing Board, board member of First Bank of Colorado Springs, President of University of Denver Alumni Club of Southern Colorado, as a member of the 1877 Foundation, as a member and then President of the Home Builders Association of Metropolitan Colorado Springs, as a member of the Jaguar Clubs of North America, and as a member of the Country Clubs of Colorado and Garden of the Gods, and as a member of First United Methodist Church, and Chapel of Our Savior. He also was a 50-year member (1957-2017) of the El Paso Club, the oldest surviving member of his generation.
His love of restoring cars started with 1953 Sunline, which he began racing and won many trophies. This lead to his love of Jaguars. Jim bought his first Jaguar in 1959 and truly began collecting Jaguars in the early 70s. His claim to fame was his 1938 Jaguar SS-100, which won the Concour D’Elegance National Champion award for 1980, making it the closest Jaguar to perfection in its particular class on the entire North American continent. His collection also includes three XK-120 coupes, a Mark I sedan, a Mark X sedan, and an XK-120 roadster.
Jim is survived by his son, John Cox (Lori), of Denver. Jim’s daughter, Susan, preceded him in death.
Jim will be missed by all who knew him, but especially by his devoted son, John.
A funeral will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, November 3, 2017 at the Shrine of Remembrance “America the Beautiful” Chapel, 1730 East Fountain Boulevard, with a reception to follow at the Olympian Plaza Reception and Event Center, 975 South Union Boulevard. Private entombment will take place at the Shrine of Remembrance Mausoleum, Garden of Angels. At the service please take a wooden pencil holder that Jim made out of the wood from the Cox Mill.
In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the Jim Cox Endowed Fund, The Burns School RECM, 2101 South University Boulevard, Room 380, Denver, CO 80208.